View Single Post
Old 10-25-2002, 01:12 AM   #284
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Cami had gone to the main cavern to watch a few rounds of Candlestones. Despite the lively scene, she'd found her attention wandering. Maybe it was because so few folk were known to her. Families cheered heartily for one favorite or another. Cami had trouble remembering the names, and couldn't keep them straight in her head.

She noticed Gamba competing. He was doing well. The boy had a definite knack for standing out in a crowd. That could be a tremendous asset once he got out of here. In the confines of the tombs, however, Cami was less certain.

Rose had roamed off on her own. Cami hoped she'd be cautious, and find her way back in a reasonable amount of time. But exactly what did reasonable mean? Her own idea and Rose's probably weren't the same. She told herself to stop worrying so much, and set her mind on other things.

In any case, Cami understood the girl's compulsion to escape. She herself felt trapped. She wanted to run across a meadow with tall flowers or stare up into the sky and count the stars. How dreary the caverns were. Rocks and earth and darkness. How had Daisy stood it so long? Hobbits had mentioned that the weather in the caves stayed pretty much the same all year long. Dank and cool and shadowed, without a single breeze. Cami missed sunlight and trees and the sound of wind beating against a window. Even a good hard freeze would be better than this.

She decided to copy Rose's example, and try a little walk. Without knowing how or why, her footsteps led her towards the place where the river met the entrance of the cave. This was where they'd come last night. She remembered one of the younger boys telling her it was possible to swim in these waters. Few guards visited the area, and those that did sometimes turned a blind eye.

Cami glanced right, then left, but no one was there. She sat down on a large boulder which overlooked the edge of the water. First the socks came off, then her outer skirt, and the small vest that she wore. She slipped her feet into the water. It was definitely cold. But after the sameness of the tombs, it felt like a cool breeze on a hot day.

She slid off the rock into the river and began paddling about. Her first thought had been to stay in the shallows, and clean off some of the grime of the tombs. But she found herself swimming, seriously swimming, down the river in the direction of the current. Despite Piosenniel's insistence on air bladders, Cami had been swimming since she was a child, and had a sure, steady stroke. She flipped over onto her back and kept swimming on.

Then, suddenly, without warning, she came to the end of the cave. The abrupt disappearance of the cliff overhang was not what she expected. One more good kick and she was lying on her back in the water staring up at the stars. How incredibly beautiful they looked tonight! What enormous goodness they seemed to hold in the middle of this desolate place!

Cami felt content. She could have stayed like this for hours on end. Under the canopy of stars, she was a person, not a prisoner, not even a legend. Just Cami! And she thought with malicious delight, that no old hag could have done that swim.

But she could not stay out here too long. A few moments more and she resigned herself to paddling back, this time swimming on her side. By the time she reached the edge of the shore, she was tired and winded. But it was a good feeling. She shook herself off, and slipped on her outer garments.

As she was about to clamber down from the boulder, her heart fell to her knees. A tall spectre in grey stood just a few feet away. How could she have missed him? For an instant, Cami thought that her doom had been sealed. And she suddenly found herself less willing to meet her end than she had imagined last night. The figure came striding up and extended a hand to help pull her off the rock. His hood fell back. He grinned almost impishly and asked, "Enjoy your swim?"

Cami's eyes grew wide, "Ancalimon," she spluttered. "How did you get here?"

"This isn't the first time I've visited hobbits in prison, but I hope it will be the last. And I imagine I got here the same way you did. I came on one of the skiffs."

Cami was about to ask whether Mithadan had given permission, but stopped herself. What a ridiculous question! One of Nienna's retainers would scarcely need permission from either a Man or an Elf. If Ancalimon chose to take a skiff and sail it up the Siril, that was his own business.

The peddler continued, "I need to see Loremaster tonight. We have things to discuss."

"He knows you?" Cami's eyes were wide with surprise.

"We met only once, many years ago, before the rescue of the Stoors. That time I was dealing with the hobbit wise woman. Loremaster was just a young lad. In fact he was her student. But I can't imagine that he'll have forgotten what happened."

Ancalimon chuckled. Cami found it hard to imagine Loremaster getting into any trouble. But, from Ancalimon's tone and face, it sounded like a bit of mischief. Well, why not? Many of the hobbits seemed to regard her as a solemn legend. If they could see her past, they wouldn't believe all the mistakes and nonsense she'd gotten into one time or another.

"Are you going to talk to him about the things you told Rose and myself?"

"Yes, and other matters as well. That reminds me. Tomorrow the two of you will need to explain how the hobbrim will be helping those swimming in the river. Don't get into details. That comes later. Just let the hobbits know there are friends who live in the Sea who've come to help."

He slipped off his grey robe to reveal the garments of a merchant of Numenor. The guards were used to seeing such tradesmen and would not question his presence.

"There was one other reason I decided to pick this night for a visit. I have some stern words for a hobbit who was so distraught last night that she was broadcasting her feelings over half of Numenor."

Cami squirmed and looked uncomfortable.

The Man....," she blurted out. She was about to launch a lengthy explanation on the rescue of the Faithful, and the injustice of the world, when she was stopped by a firm hand on her shoulder.

"Enough! Cami, sometimes you think too much. And there are very few hobbits I would ever say that to. Know one thing. You have made the right decision. However hard it may be for you, do not remake it a hundred times in your head."

"It is not your place to judge the hearts of others, and the decisions they make. Leave the Man be! He is doing his best. The decisions Mithadan makes come from the mercy in his heart. You may be surprised to find that you will thank him someday. In any case, worry about your own path, and let wiser heads safeguard the fabric of time."

"Alright, alright, I'll try," she sighed.

"And there's something else." Ancalimon continued. Cami tried to slink down and make herself smaller, since she assumed this could not be good. "In the rescue, the youngest children will be going out in protected groups. There will be a number of such groups, who'll have to be led down to the river where the hobbrim will help them through the waters. You are to walk with the children, and if necessary fight for them. Make sure that every one gets through."

She thought a minute and asked, "Every one?"

He shook his head yes.

"But shouldn't I be in the Locks? What about Daisy? What about the other prisoners there?"

"They'll be fine. That is for others to do. It's your job to be with the children just as you were in Beleriand."

Cami laughed and shook her head, "To tell the truth, I find that easier. They're the only ones who look at me and see a plain, simple hobbit instead of a mysterious legend from ages past."

Then Cami spoke again. "Do you think if we finally get to the Third Age that the hobbits will stop treating me like a stick figure from the past? I hope so! I want to have friends and a life. And I think it's even harder on Rose. She's not the type to see herself as a legend." Cami waited for an answer.

Ancalimon looked her straight in the eye, and smiled, but said nothing.

More mysteries, always more mysteries, she thought.

They had finally reached the alcove where Loremaster slept. Ancalimon gave her a hug, and said he'd see her during the rescue. He turned to go about his business. Cami started to hunt for her own sleeping spot, when a voice boomed out after her, "And no more nonsense Mistress Goodchilde!"

Wearily, she agreed.

[ October 28, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]