View Single Post
Old 10-25-2002, 01:51 PM   #288
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Piosenniel, still smiling over the Hobbrim's handiwork, returned to the main deck. There she found Mithadan speaking with Khelek and Veritas.

"What shall we do with the Numenorean vessel?" asked Veritas.

"We may have use for it," replied Mithadan. "But in the interim, search it for weapons; knives, spears, harpoons, swords, axes. We have need of spears. There are two in the armoury and two harpoons stored below. We still have a handful of knives which are unspoken for. They should be crafted into spears as should the two stabbing swords in the armoury. There are two battle axes as well, but we have two wood axes on board which can be sharpened and made into weapons. Can you both work on this during the next two days?"

"I thought we were to rely upon stealth," commented Khelek. "And wouldn't it be best to simply scuttle the Numenorean ship?"

"We will act in secret as long as we can," answered the Man. "But at some point, the alarm will go up. Then we must hold the four entrance tunnels against any guards responding to the alarm. With the exception of the Locks tunnel, they are narrow so that only two or three may stand abreast in them. The best weapons to hold them will be spears for those standing in the opening and axes for those standing to the sides. We cannot rely upon your kindred from the West to have divined what weapons we need; we must have what we need ready if possible. Ask among the Hobbrim. They may have some sturdy blades available."

Piosenniel nodded approvingly. Then she scanned the deck. "There is a skiff missing," she commented. "What?" cried Mithadan, as he counted the small boats.

"Ancalimon cannot be found either," said Piosenniel. Mithadan relaxed upon hearing this. "I would guess that he has gone to the tombs to be among the Hobbits," he responded. "I trust him not to reveal himself."

"What about the ship?" repeated Khelek. "I would feel better if it were gone."

"As I said," answered Mithadan. "I feel we will have use for it. If it makes you feel better, once it is searched, we can move it away to the South and anchor it."

Khelek looked dubious but nodded...