View Single Post
Old 10-27-2002, 06:20 AM   #311
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Sharon's Post

Gamba turned to walk away. His head was down. His eyes saw little. But, beyond the field of death, came another figure in grey. A woman who looked old and tired beyond her years. Beside her was a small band of children.

Maura was strapped in a sling on her body. Ban held tightly to her hand. Roka and Asta walked together, arms wound about each other's waist. Kesha, the eldest, went first. He clutched a bedraggled sprig of flowers which they'd found near the edge of the field in a tiny patch where shovels had not yet dug.

The woman fell on her knees before the soft brown earth. She stared into the distance, seeing nothing beyond her own grief and images of children who'd once been slain before her eyes. Kesha bent down to lay his few yellow buds at the foot of the grave.

They were so silent. Gamba would never even have heard them, but for Maura's wailing. The toddler would not be consoled by Cami. He cried out with childlike fierceness, "Gamba, Gamba, come back."

Gamba turned dead eyes to the children. "Why are you here?" He sounded harsh and frightened. There were no tears in his eyes.

Kesha spoke first, "We want to honor her. She was our friend. And we love you."

Gamba's eyes did not soften.

Cami tried to explain, "The children's room weeps today. They all remember the lilt of her voice and her gentleness. Every one of them wanted to come. We couldn't do that. But those closest to you, I would not stop. Nor did I want to."

Cami hesitated and began to cry. There was pain in her voice. "I am truly sorry this has happened. That we could not have come sooner and stopped all this." Her words trailed off.

Gamba's eyes softened slightly. He said nothing, but a single tear ran down his cheek. He went over to kiss each of the boys, then turned and walked away. The sound of Maura's wailing followed him as he made his way from the field.

[ October 28, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]