View Single Post
Old 10-28-2002, 03:01 PM   #317
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

The children's room was a quiet place that day. There were many tears for Esta, mixed with real fears about what might happen later that night. Parents came in and out throughout the morning, tightly hugging their children and wondering if they'd see them again.

A death like this would be difficult anytime. But, on the eve of the rescue, it was nearly unbearable. Esta's loss dragged at their hearts. It took away strength and resolve. The hobbits had spent months watching their old ones disappear, one-by-one. They could only imagine what happened to them, since they'd never been to the temple or seen the brutal ceremonies. Now they knew with horrible certainty. The injustice of Esta's death, one so young and full of promise, hit them to the core.

As Cami walked around the room, she was shocked to find a small group of hobbits arguing that there was little reason to fight on. They shook their heads and said it was impossible to win against such an enemy. Elven ships or not, our own numbers are few, they argued. Better to go along with the guards and eek out what few days or weeks remain to us.

For a moment, Cami thought to have Loremaster respond, or to speak out herself against such words of despair. But, before she could open her mouth, a small boy stood at the front and confronted the men. Kesha, all of eleven years, barely tall enough to qualify for duty on a killing squad, stared at them in disbelief.

"Do what you want. I do not believe things are hopeless. My heart grieves for Esta. She was like a sister to me. And I knew her better than you did. She would not have given up."

Cami felt anger and shame flood her heart. "The boy is right," she said. "The last words Esta spoke to me were filled with hope. She dreamed of today, when the Elven ships would carry her to freedom. The girl was not afraid to fight or to die. She was only afraid of not trying. You shame her memory by your words."

"Are you not afraid?" the hobbit challenged Cami. "They are many and well armed. We are small and few."

Anger reared up in her. "Afraid? Yes, I'm afraid, but that doesn't mean I'll stop trying. You've been imprisoned so long, you've forgotten what it's like to dream. You don't need any guards. You put up the bars...."

At that precise instant, two guards burst into the chamber. They looked about at the number of men and women gathered there and demanded, "Go back to your work, or you will all end up in the Locks."

The hobbits did not protest. They began to leave the room. Among themselves, however, there was much talk of Cami's words, and what she'd meant to say before the guards came in.

After the adults had filed out of the room, one of the guards turned to Cami, "You are in charge of these rats." He pointed at the chidren. She nodded yes. "If this happens one more time, with hobbits gathering here instead of working, you will see the temple yourself. Do you understand me?" He cuffed her across the face.

She looked him in the eye and said, "I understand you very well." Too well, she thought.