piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

"Here in the Shire the grass grows green
And little rivers fall.
At the Green Dragon we dance and sing
And Dwarin answers our calls."

Bullroarer sang and hummed the words from that Robin lass's as he sopped up the last bit of gravy from hhis bowl with a crusty chunk of bread.

'Nice song!' he said to her, his voice booming over the din of the Tavern. He motioned her over with a wave of his hand, and stood, offering her a seat. 'She blushes so prettily!' he thought to himself, 'Just like my daughter!'

'You're a Brandybuck, are you not?' he asked her, taking a close look at her. 'The Fallohide blood always tells, especially when one opens her mouth to sing.' He smiled at her and laughed. 'Where are my manners! I'm Bandobras Took just come from Long Cleave.'

'Robin', she replied, warming to him. 'Robin Brandybuck, it is, of Hobbiton.' She took her seat and sipped her good herb tea, savoring the smell of it and the warmth of the mug as she held it.

Bullroarer frowned, trying to remember where he had heard that name before. He pulled a ragged piece of paper from his vest pocket, and putting on his reading glasses perused it for a moment. 'There you are!' he said pleased with himself.

He took the stub of a pencil from his pocket then, and put a check mark by the young Hobbit's name. 'What's that?' she asked politely, seeing the list of names and wondering why she was on it.

'Tis a list of sturdy Hobbits I am to contact, to see about a little venture we might try. He looked about the common room at the sea of faces. 'You wouldn't by any chance see any of these others here would you?' She glanced at the list and shook her head 'no'.

Bullroarer stood and looking about the room, found who he was seeking. Dwarin sighed and rolled his eyes beneath his bushy eyebrows, but there was no escaping the ham-fisted Hobbit who stood motioning him over with a wave.

'Dwarin, my lad! I need some assistance from you. Some members of the party I was to meet seem to have gone missing. Can you see your way to finding out about where they are and bringing them here.' It was more of a statement than a question.

'So now I am to be a messenger service!' laughed the Dwarf to himself. 'Who do you need, Bullroarer? I'll send out some Hobbits to round them up.'

Bullroarer showed the list to the Inn Keeper - Lotho Hilldweller, Emerald Burrows, and Daisy Took were the names he jabbed at with his thick finger. 'And if you find any other likely candidates for my venture - bring them on in, too!' Dwarin called for a flagon of dark brown ale to tide the mighty Hobbit over until the needed Hobbits could be found.

Then he took two likely looking lads aside, and giving them the promise of a free pint when they returned, he sent them out to gather Bullroarer's troops.

[ November 23, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]