View Single Post
Old 07-14-2006, 07:46 AM   #23
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Is it the same imaging as Google Earth though? I've played with said program for countless hours while procrastinating (admiring the Eiffel Tower and the Pyramids from above, among other things) and my entire county is green fuzz. But I can zoom in on Brin's map to the nice close level of recognizing a pair of local lakes and seeing the very foggy gray line that is a state route a mile away from my house. Still not a lot of definition, but a lot more than green fuzz.

Edit: this is way cool. Looking at the next town over from me (new county, clear imaging), I can figure out almost exactly when these shots were taken.

Between three and two years ago (two 100+ foot trees are missing from my grandparents' farm; they aren't driving the right cars for it to be more recent; a store downtown isn't yet purchased by a man the town loathes: there is still business and no gas pumps).

Early spring; just before planting season (fields are clear, but not plowed or planted; Grandpa's garden is tilled and ready; he hasn't yet started the year's mowing in the private field).

Saturday (no cars at a few downtown businesses, but not nearly enough cars at local churches for it to be any time on Sunday).

Between 12:00PM and 3:00PM (shadows cast on the hill).

It comes down to maybe five Saturdays that it could possibly be. That's just cool.

Last edited by Feanor of the Peredhil; 07-14-2006 at 08:31 AM.
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote