View Single Post
Old 07-27-2012, 11:04 PM   #39
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Voronwe wrote: Regarding your question about minor characters, I honestly don't think in those terms, so it is really difficult for me to pin down which of that list I could call "minor" and which I would not. Obviously, Finwe and Indis' daughters would fall into that category! Beyond that, I'm not sure that I could say. I'm not trying to evasive, it just isn't really something that I have thought about.
OK

Quote:
Regarding Arien, I'm not sure why you are asking that. The edits that I identify regarding Arien are that two references to her beauty are removed from passages taken from the Annals, but there was not substituted passages added in from teh Quenta.
Right, but I'm considering a theory about why these edits were made and wondered if we could narrow down the external chronology.

Quote:
(...) It is true that the Quenta is the main source for the latter part of Chapter 5, but only for portions that turn to matters having nothing to do with Osse and Uinen. For the part of the chapter that they appear, the Annals are the main source. So it doesn't really make sense to me to say that the reason why Christopher changed the text to have only Osse instructing the Teleri is that it is consistent with the Quenta tradition.
What do you think about a 'blend' though, a compromise after considering and weighing both traditions, where one tradition is all Osse as instructor of the Teleri (3 references) with no Uinen even present.

If I recall correctly a choice of Annals of Aman leaves out the instruction of Osse when the Teleri are on Eressea (from QS), where he alone teaches the Teleri 'strange musics and sea-lore' (similarly worded in AAm) -- and a choice of Quenta Silmarillion for this entire section would have left Uinen wholly out in any case (not mentioned at all at any point, befriending or teaching).
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote