View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #33
elbenprincess
Haunting Spirit

elbenprincess has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Even though the three rings had positive effects, they were still working against nature. They were preventing time from flowing the way it should do. Tolkien even calls the creation of the rings a second fall for the Elves. By making the One Rings they succeeded in making Sauron stronger. Perhaps if Sauron did not have the One Ring then Numenor would have dealt with him themselves and not been destroyed.
How would Numenor not have been destroyed if Sauron did not have the ring, wasnīt Numenor "destroyed" by Eru, after the Numenorians tried to attack the Valar? Sauron was taken capitive by the Numenorians but after some time convinced the king to go to Aman.

For the ringbearers preventing time from flowing and that being a bad thing, it is hinted that Yavanna supportet Galadriels wish that she could hold time
Quote:
"This I bring to you from Yavanna. Use it as you may, and for a while you shall make the land of your dwelling the fairest place in Middle-earth.
One could think that the Valar have no problem if Galadriel manipulates nature to some degree. I know in some letter Tolkien said it was evil to manipulate nature, but maybe he makes differences in HOW and why it is used, they didnīt used the rings to make them superiour to others and as I understand, that was one of the motives of the smiths in Eregion.

Quote:
Tolkien even calls the creation of the rings a second fall for the Elves.
Because to motive was bad, for original makers wanted to create a second Valinor and be masters to everyone else. I doubt Galadriel wanted a second Valinor, she would know very well that she is never able to do so IMHO, she just wanted to make herself a nice home, that is comprehensible since she is not able to go to her proper home.

I think it is very brave that they took the risk of being controlled by Sauron if he would find the one ring, I never thought of it, I always thought that they would just take off their rings and then sail to Valinor, but it seems it wouldnīt have been that easy.

Quote:
I have to say, in brief, that Galin's opinion (and conclusions from many citations) is pretty much where I am on the question. I think the late Unstained Supergaladriel was the aging Tolkien's foray into Mary Sue-ism.
Why is the later, unstained Galadriel Mary Sue-ish? Like rebell Galadriel she was banned, she didnīt took part in the rebellion, but she left at the same time as Feanor, so she came under the curse of Mandos, despite of her non-activity in the rebellion.
Quote:
but for the misfortune that before she set out the revolt of Fëanor broke out, and she became involved in the desperate measures of Manwe, and the ban on all emigration.
-353, 4 August 1973
If she would have stayed back and waited for the permission to go and even would have gotten the task by the Valar, that I would call Mary Sue-ism.

One character trait of rebell Galadriel is this:
Quote:
From her earliest years she had a marvellous gift of insight into the minds of others, but judged them with mercy and understanding, and she withheld her goodwill from none save only Fëanor.
That sounds more like a Mary Sue than everything else, and in that version she was still "wicked"

IMHO the only Mary Sue in Tolkiens World is Luthien. I have nothing against her, she has a great story, I just miss character depth in her, sheīs just too pure, too perfect and too innocent for my taste and therefore boring.
elbenprincess is offline   Reply With Quote