View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 02:46 PM   #37
cellurdur
Shade of Carn Dûm

cellurdur has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbenprincess View Post
My problem with Luthien is that she all did it for love, not for freedom for example or personal fulfilment. That is Mary -Sue-ish, for me at least. Galadriel never was that way. I see Galadriel as a more independent person as Luthien, even if Luthien decided to accept mortal fate and would never see her family, but again, "only" to be with Beren. Galadriel left her family (temporary) to fight evil and rule a realm of her own, if she gets the chance. Luthein seems soft and sweet, Galadriel determinant.

In modern world Luthien would be a mother and housewife (which is not bad, I don´t want to be disrespectful), while Galadriel would be politican ;-)
Luthien marched into Hell itself and dared put Morgoth to sleep. Luthien and Beren managed to do what all the Noldor could not, she took a Silmaril from Morgoth.

I don't see the problem in doing something for love. Earendil sailed to Valinor for love of elves and men. This is precisely why they are the greatest and most beloved Children of Illuvatar.
cellurdur is offline   Reply With Quote