View Single Post
Old 09-03-2002, 03:37 AM   #13
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

Quote:
I see this scene as Saruman's suiside.
I'm not so sure myself. True, his words are enough to set Gríma up as the most despicable of creatures; but I think it's significant that he only attacks his master after Saruman's imperious summons. Nobody else calls the poor fellow "Worm", not even the Mark, whom he betrayed most of all. Here's Saruman, robbing him of his last chance to settle down somewhere and make something of his life again, solely in order to maintain him as a servant and target for his spite and treating him with utter disdain in the process. I think that he hears that name and he just sees red. In one instant, he remembers all of the evils that he's suffered because of Saruman, and takes his revenge.

As for Saruman, I think his contempt for Gríma and his belief that this servant at least would always be loyal, if only through fear were so complete that the sudden attack came as a total surprise. I'm almost certain that Saruman's name for Gríma was a deliberate reference on Tolkien's part to the phrase "the worm has turned": another example of his ironic punning.

Quote:
From this quote, it would appear as if Saruman had an inkling to what his fate would be, but wasn't fully sure about it--hence his "wavering" as he looked towards the West. I also wonder whether the word "sigh" is merely describing the sound of the wind, or something more.
That's exactly how I read that passage, although I was more certain that the sigh was nothing to do with the wind. I can just imagine Curumo, released of the burden of flesh that had been Saruman, suddenly realising the depth of his failure and the completeness of his rejection; and expressing in one brief sigh his despair and regret.