View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 11:21 AM   #273
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Because I bet everyone is mispronoucing it...

First, my real name, Kate, Katherine, Katie, etc, has several meanings: The more accepted one, "Pure" from the Greek katharos (this was actually started by the romans); the closest to the original name, "Each of two," from Hekaterine; it's loosely related to aikia, which means "Torture"; and it's believed to be directly related to Hecate, the goddess of the dark moon, wisdom, tombs, and keeper of the keys to the underworld. I think that last one is quite fitting for the downs.

My screenname (pronounced Row-ah Ee-fah), which I use just about everywhere, is another name for Aoife Beargh, the daughter of an Irish king and one of the last warriors to die fighting the Norman invasion. Roa Aoife literally means Aoife the Red which she was called for two reasons: 1) Her flaming red hair, which she would plait into two long braids, at the end of which she would weave in sharp rocks, so that when she turned her head quickly the braids would fly out and strike her opponent, and 2) the front of her armour had long spikes coming out of the front, and she would grab her enemies and impale them, causing the front of her armour to run red with blood.

In a word, she's the historical figure I most admire.

malkatoj, dogs or dog, perhaps?

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen

Last edited by Roa_Aoife; 12-06-2005 at 11:25 AM.
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote