View Single Post
Old 07-09-2016, 07:36 PM   #15
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
I doubt I can put it better than Mithadan, but....

This is the only Tolkien forum (or any forum) that I post on. Really, and especially all those years ago when I found this place, being an active part of such a community was contrary to my generally private, quiet nature. I found the Downs when it was part of the EZ Board family. I think there was one other Tolkien site I joined at the same time, but the fact that I can't recall the name indicates its importance to me now.

I was highly impressed by the breadth of Tolkien knowledge on rampant display here, not to mention the general civility of tone that was rigidly enforced, and was hooked from the start. I never had any desire to visit other Tolkien forums later, even when the movie-hype reached its zenith, and I found myself in the decided minority opposed to the movies.

Today, when the number of forums is fewer, I feel even less need to shop around.
I would tend to agree with you. The MEO forums (prior to Turbine changing MEO to LOTRO and bastardizing the game into a WoWish clone) were vibrant and a lot of fun. I even moderated the Roleplaying Forum there for a considerable amount of time. Once the developers jettisoned anything that approached canonicity and decided to Jacksonize Middle-earth Online and transmogrified it into Lord of the Rings Online (as you can see, even the title was a none too subtle change to take advantage of the movies), I came here in 2007. I do not regret the move one jot or tittle.

I keep a foot in the door at TheOneRing.net and post in the Reading Room occassionally, where there are some really good textual read-throughs and accompanying commentary, but outside that, the interest there is more in the way Thorin's coal black hair glistens and his fiery eyes cast derision with a sizzling glare. One expects the discussion to turn to beribboned pink ponies at any moment.