Thread: Avari vs.Eldar
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2001, 10:24 AM   #1
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Ring Avari vs.Eldar

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Seeker of the Straight Path
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>

The Sindarization of an Avari was probably much more than a change of names, it would I imagine have involved a more reverential view and history of the Valar,[ the sindarin culture being moulded in great respect by Melian, I am supposing] and seen the March as a good thing.

There would be a variety of rituals for which the blessing of the Valar would be invoked and these would be entirely absent I would guess among the Avari.Maybe they called upon Eru directly? Feeling [especially after tales of the Noldor's rebellion had filtered to them from the Sindar] that direct appeal to Eru was purer and as the Valar had indeed [from and Avairn point of view] made a mistake in summoning the elves. It would be like marrying into a different family and culture.

I recall [Q&amp;E?UT? ] some mention being made of Dorwinion wine making it to Beleriand in the 1 st age.

Were the elves there Avari or Nandor who did not even make it to the Misty mountains/Anduin ?
Or was the Sea of Rhun the latter name for the 'waters of awakening'/cuivenen [sp?] and those who stayed where really Avari?

I wonder then if this was the reason for Legolas' reference in Lothlorien that there was a virtual communication breakdown [I should say lack of earthly contact - as I can not say there was no Osanwe ] between Thranduil's realm and Lothlorien.
That the Dorwinion Elves were at extreme philosophical odds with the Elves in Lothlorien who had excepted a Noldorin Ruler and demanded that the Mirkwood elves take sides of some sort. There is I think in UT some mention of the Mirkwood elves wanting to return to a sylvan elf way of life, as opposed to a 'Sindarized/Eldarin ' way I guess.

This was originally a continuation of the reincarnation thread extracted to here.

Lindil is oft found on posting on the Silmarillion Project at the Barrowdowns and working on a new Elven/Christian discussion board<a href="http://beta.ezboard.com/bosanwekenta" >Osanwe-Kenta</a> 'The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night, and awaken early before dawn- exchanging lore and wisdom such as they possessed , so that they should not fall back into the mean and low estate of those , who never knew or more sadly still, had indeed rebelled against the Light.' </p>
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote