View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #7
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by galadriela View Post
I liked some of these names. It gives me a good direction. Is there a way to say that I love light/sunlight/sun? taking Galad (which I prefer over Calad) and combining it with something from "love"-mel?
The root MEL- means 'love, as a friend'. And we do have Melian 'Dear gift'. Would *Melgalad possibly hold the right sense you're looking for? I'm not sure, but we do have attested Malgalad, so the form itself would seem to be ok.

You mentioned Quenya ancalima as well, and to make it a feminine name you could simply alter the final vowel: Ancalime. Tar-Ancalime already exists however.

Or even Calime itself (final e is not silent of course).

As noted above we have -(n)dil and -(n)dur in Quenya, but galad cannot be Quenya however, due to intial g-. We might be able to Sindarize -(n)dil, although I can't recall at the moment if there is anything regarding this ending and gender (I seem to recall something in PE17 here, but if so I can't remember where). Anyway Tolkien himself gave Sindarin Gaerdil as a seeming equivalent to Quenya Earendil (among other versions).

And I note Roman Rausch on Enerdhil:

Quote:
For S. -nnil/-nnel, -dil, -dil(i)on, -dilnir see Edennil ’Friend of Men’ (MR:306), gaerennil, gaerdilon, gaerdilnir, Gaerdil, Gaerdilion (PE17:19,27), although these seem to be a phonetic adaptations of Q. Atandil and Eärendil respectively. See also Enerdhil (UT:248), probably being an adaptation of Q. Anardil *’sun-lover’. Later we learn that Q. Eärendil was among names not given Sindarin forms in legend, but was explained to mean Seron Aearon (PM:348). However, causal and accidental forms Aerendil, Aerennel were also found (PM:364).
From http://www.sindanoorie.net/art/Names.html

Interesting!
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote