View Single Post
Old 04-09-2006, 11:49 PM   #13
Caranlondien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Caranlondien has just left Hobbiton.
Frodo:

Inside Bag-Endless-Fuel, Samwise Gamgee was sitting across the kitchen table from a glum Frodo.

"I know Mr. Bilbo's running off leaves you in a spot, Mr. Frodo, but you've still got us as wants to help you." He motioned to indicate the other hobbits standing about the kitchen. Merry gave a sympathetic nod as he consulted one of Bilbo's old maps, and Pippin looked up from his plate, atop which rested one of Bilbo's seed-cakes, to grin widely at his host.

"I don't see what all this fuss is about," said the Took. "Without Bilbo about we can all eat a proper meal in peace!" His companions looked at him incredulously.

"Pippin, you started eating that cake before Bilbo left," said Sam. "In fact, didn't he offer it to you?"

"Yes, but this is hardly a full meal!" Pippin responded indignantly. "I mean to say, we were all so busy earlier, following all Bilbo's instructions, we full well missed second breakfast."

"I'm just glad he hasn't set off any fireworks yet," Merry whispered to Sam.

Sam shook his head disapprovingly and turned back to Frodo. "So, Mr. Frodo, which direction do you think we ought to start off in?"

Frodo looked at Merry, who took his cue and laid a map out on the table. Pippin picked up his plate and joined the others in peering at a dot marked "Lonely Mountain".

"If we go due West, we'll pass near the Elvenking's Halls," Merry explained. Sam glanced at Frodo nervously.

"Isn't that where Mr. Bilbo was taken prisoner by the elves?"

"Yes," said Frodo. "But he was held captive by Thranduil, father of our old friend Legolas. He will surely help us in this task. I think that a western path is our safest bet."

"Speaking of safety," said Sam, "what do you think of Mount Zoom?"

"What about it?" asked Pippin as he opened one of Bilbo's cupboards.

"Well, we all heard the Dark Lord say he planned to follow us."

"Yes, he does talk in quite a, er, booming voice," said Pippin. "Do you suppose he really thinks we couldn't hear him?"

"I don't know," replied Frodo. "But if they do try to run us over, they'll just go over us. I mean, we're a hill."
Caranlondien is offline   Reply With Quote