View Single Post
Old 07-15-2002, 01:17 AM   #196
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Pio closed and locked her cabin door and went up on deck.

Night had come and the moon hung low in the sky, an orange crescent. She recalled the words of a poet she had read in the seventh age -

notice the convulsed orange inch of moon
perching on this silver minute of evening

She wondered if somewhere in time, he was looking at the same moon, memorizing the colored image, to later bring it forth in black on white.

What brings you up to look at the night, Elf? The dragon's thoughts jarred her own.

Can't sleep. I'm too excited about setting sail tomorrow. Pio shivered, though the night air was warm.

'Excited' . . . now that is a word I hadn't thought to apply to where we're bound.

Pio grabbed the deck rail and gazed out into the darkness. Her hands clenched the wood, and a small sigh escaped her.

I'm dreading it, too, Angara. I fear having those dreadful memories made real. All my life has been moving toward this, and I cannot say I find myself adequate to the task.

We are neither of us adequate, Pio. And possibly, we will fail. Hope is all we have now and that is cold comfort.

Yet hope is what we do have, Angara, and I will take comfort from it as I can.

They sat together on the deck and watched the moon move in its downward course to sink below the Western horizon. Then came darkness and the little light of stars, and memories of lands lost and loved ones gone.

[ July 15, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]