View Single Post
Old 02-28-2006, 08:45 PM   #82
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Ęšelhild quickly nodded that she would, not missing the sense of urgency in the other woman’s voice, though she knew not yet how much help she would be. Yes, she had help tend the sick and the wounded of Gondor during troubled times, but only in an assisting capacity and although she had learned much from the healers she had always worked under their strict supervision and instruction, she had never had cause to test her knowledge on her own, not that was until now!

As they hurried back to the hall Saeryn described to her what had happened, from their guests seeming shortness of breath to him finally collapsing to the floor grasping at his chest, A troubled frown creased Ęšelhild’s brow as she recognised the signs that Saeryn described. It had been the same for her grandmother only by the time the healers had arrived the seeds of sickness had taken root and claimed her life, so that now she knew that this mans life might very well be placed in her hands.

With this realisation all of her own fears and doubts suddenly gave way to the urgency at hand and she quickened her pace considerably. She did not pause as she entered the hall, but strode to were Eodwine and a few others were gathered about one of the large tables upon which the stricken guest now lay. He was not young and instantly Ęšelhild noted the weakness of his pallor and the beads of sweat upon his forehead and her concern grew somewhat though she tried not to let it show.

“ Ęšel, Saeryn tells me you have some knowledge of the healing arts, can you help?” Eodwine whispered as she came beside him, bending over her patient to lay her hand on his brow.

“I shall do what I can,” she replied glacing up momentarily, taking in his worried expression, knowing that she could promise no more. Then turning to Kara she bade the young woman bring her cloth and water.

Turning back to her patient she loosened his tunic and lowered her ear to his chest. It was as she had feared the rythmatic drumming of his heart was slowed and beat with a distinct irregularity that made his breathing sharp and shallow. “Hagedorn,” she Murmured, A food for the heart she recalled being taught.

“My Lord!” she said turning again to Eodwine, “His breath grows shallow and his heart weak, he requires immediately a tonic made from the juices of the Hagehorn berry!”