View Single Post
Old 09-06-2003, 07:04 PM   #14
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

As Maethor strode dreamily towards the bar, his dark eyes fell upon a maid, and he could tell she was an elf. He froze and stared at her: he had never become used to their beauty, and always he would stop and watch them in awe. The years in Rive -- no Imladris, he hastily corrected himself, had been wonderful years of young beauty and wonder. He sighed happily as he watched her and murmured part of the elvish lay of Nimrodel a she watched her. The elvish language...what a fair thing it was.

Vanwe lifted her head and Maethor, jerking himself to the real world of the grungy inn, realized that he must have been gawking and, turning so that she would not see his crimson face, he turned again to the bar and began to order an ale. Plopping some coins upon the counter, he felt a presence, a friendly presence, enter the room and, turning, he saw that it was Hanasian. He nodded in greeting and said, "Excuse me. Make that two ales, if you would." He smiled at the woman behind the counter and saw that Hanasian had taken a seat at a table.

"Hanasian. I was expecting to find you here," he said quietly as Maethor joined the aged Ranger and looked at him admiringly.

Maehtor saw Hanasian raise his tankard in greeting to another and Maethor silently nodded his own welcome when he saw that it was Amandur. Motioning a serving maid to fetch another ale, Maethor gazed at Amandur as the ranger, too, joined himself and Hanasian. Maethor felt his blood chilled as he heard Hanasian whisper, "She is near, I feel it!"

Maehtor's spirit plummeted as he heard the awful words. He could only mean Naiore. Sipping his ale, he murmured, "Are not the rumors false? Is she truly an elf maid?" It couldn't be true. What elf would turn to evil?

The two rangers nodded and Maethor's spirits crashed through the floor as he pushed his tankard away. "How do we know find her?" he sighed, twiddling with a raveling thread from his cloak.

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-11-2006 at 10:33 AM.