View Single Post
Old 05-03-2004, 02:17 PM   #166
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Aeron listened while Mellonin told of her brother, of his love for runes and learning. He smirked. Pouring over old, weathered scrolls in the dim flickering candle light did not sound appealing.

But the song was lovely -- lilting like a river he thought. Amroth and Nimrodel...he shook his head, pondering the story in his head.

And his love for the queen...she was only an elf...Lady Evenstar...The first star was beginning to peek above the mountains. He studied it, wondering why anyone would be named after an evening star. The star was not beautiful...it was prick of light. No more. Still, how did an elf look? He had heard glowing reports of her beauty and now, despite himself, he was curious. He scowled. Drat Mellonin for bringing the queen up . He had never concerned himself with the queen before and now he wondered if the queen would have helped his family as she travelled about the country side.

"Clever thieves avoid royalty," Gwyllion said.

Aeron smiled at her, but the smile faded and was replaced with a puckered frown. She had not said it in a positive light -- almost as if she had wanted to go to the feast and to see the queen. But they had had such adventurous times together, stealing gems from under merchant's noses, richer than any peasant had ever been. Each jewel had been won with adventurous fervor in the game of cleverness. Gwyllion had always been content with their lot before, but ever since she met that horrid ranger she had been different.

"So tell me about yourself," Mellonin said.

Aeron leaned back and considered. What was there to tell? "My father fought in the War and mother died giving birth to Gwyllion and when she was twelve he went away," Aeron said, a cold smile on his face.

"But he will come back," Gwyllion said, nodding her head.

Aeron rolled his eyes and scowled at her delusions. "I have told you that he is not coming back."

"Yes, he will. He cannot hate his children," Gwyllion insisted. "I think he lost his way," she added. "Or he must have been detained."

"Yes, you are right, Gwyllion," Aeron snapped. "He was detained by a great black monster that festers in his heart and he will come back when we are asleep in the ground."

"Maybe he will conquer that monster and then come back to us," Gwyllion suggested.

Aeron shook his head. Either she was too dense to understand what he meant or she did not want to believe it. They had had this conversaton many times before and arguing about it now would not change her mind. Besides, he had already made her angry today and he did not want to risk a loud argument about the matter. Then Ravion would but in like and try to reason with them about how terrible it was argueing on the road and he would drone on and on about how they must stick together to make this trip as pleasant for Mellonin as possible. He glowered at the girl.

To break the awkward silence that had again settled on the group (broken only by soft instructions of Ravion and the whistle and twang of arrows), Aeron said, "I believe it was idiotic what Amroth did. He drowned himself for a woman -- a mere woman who is probably dead. Why else could she not meet him at the shores? It would have been better if he had enjoyed his immortal life instead of throwing it away."