View Single Post
Old 12-15-2006, 11:47 AM   #6
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex
PS Gandalf's look as the trolls come through the gate - now THAT look might have worked better when he was confronted by the witch king................
What still kills me is how quickly the Army of Darkness gains the Gate. My daughter and I were watching Xena this morning, and the episode dealt with the Battle of Thermopylae. Xena single-handedly holds off the attacking Persians, littering the landscape with dead until the invaders think better of visiting Greece. Not exactly sure that that was 'history,' but the movie The 300 may be a somewhat closer retelling of the event in 480 BC where a small group of determined soldiers held off a large force, using the narrow road to extreme advantage.

Think that the Americans have the 'Alamo.'

Anyway, so seeing these examples it irks me that PJ, via the Gondorian soldiers under Gandalf's command, didn't fill the Grond-broken gate with troll and orc dead. Even if it only gave a moments pause - Gothmog could have had Grond swing one more time, pushing the carcasses out of the way - it would have at least made Gandalf and the Gondorians somewhat competent. PJ could then continue with his 'desperate situation' portrayal, but I would then at least not thought the defense impotent.

Thoughts?