View Single Post
Old 08-02-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
It's unusual for Tolkien to choose a chapter title that almost gives away the end of the chapter. I wonder why he did so here? (The reason could be something so mundane as that nothing better occurred to him...)
Well, Flies and Spiders was pretty suggestive itself.

Quote:
Normally, both here and in LotR, Elven realms are safe havens for those travellers who come there. However, Dwarves are an exception - captives here, and even in Lothlorien later, Gimli's eyes had to be blindfolded. Still, I think the Dwarves' lives were saved in this case, since they escaped Mirkwood and had food and drink during their captivity.
I don't think there's any doubt the wood-elves saved the lives of Thorin and Co.
In the context of The Hobbit, without knowing a great deal of the history of elves in general, I think the actions of the wood-elves are more a contrast to the earlier treatment the company received at the hands of the goblins than anything else.

Quote:
Bilbo could have had a more enjoyable stay in other company, but since he was the only one who was able to find an escape, this episode is crucial to his personal development. I imagine the upcoming movies will make a good deal more of this chapter - it does have possibilities! His use of the ring is crucial to the plot at this point - without invisibility, he could not have helped the Dwarves.
Invisibility certainly made the escape possible. Bilbo is not only using his own resources to help his friends, but he makes use of what seemed to him to be merely a useful tool.
It's interesting though, the way the Ring becomes so crucial to Bilbo's success so quickly, almost as if it were itself suggesting he use it.