View Single Post
Old 06-05-2004, 08:04 AM   #277
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield Ędegard

"Deep in my heart are you, Rohan my home,
Far from your quiet fields now I roam.
In a distant land bends my way,
But I shall return to you some day."

Ędegard's hearing was good enough that he could make out the words, though sung as quietly as the winter breeze. He was glad of the darkness, for his chest filled with longing and tears came to his eyes. He wiped his eyes, and the tightness in his chest opened up as he thought about the sweet voice that had brought those words back to him. The maiden of Rohan had heard, and memorized his words! He felt as if he could fly among the stars!

So she was very shy. That was a relief to know. There was hope. He lay down, but sleep was far away. You are not in your right mind! he told himself. Just two days ago, this maiden of Rohan had been on the edge of his awareness, and now she rivaled the quest in his thoughts. Moonstruck is what you are! He rolled over and tried to slow his heart with steady breaths. Admit it, fool of a wheelwright! Love struck is more like it! He pulled a face, then a smile spread across his lips. He closed his eyes and in a short while dozed.