View Single Post
Old 04-21-2009, 06:18 PM   #49
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Well, obviuosly since Tolkien used 'casque' it can stay. (The spelling 'cask' has been used with the meaning of 'helmet' according to the OED, so I'm surprised Tolkien spelled it the French way).

Line 188: I think either 'did taunting scorn' or 'tauntingly scorned' is a perfectly good half-line. If I recall correctly, the former is a type B and the latter a type E verse. I suppose if Aran prefers 'did taunting scorn' we can go with that - indeed, it might be better simply because B verses are more common than E.

I think I now agree to using the alliterative passage rather than the prose.

Quote:
But what do we make of the three last lines placed within brackets?
I don't know if the intention could have been to simply delete them, since that would leave the last line as a sentence fragment. I suppose we could delete the last four lines, or perhaps delete the last three and change the semicolon at line 22 to a comma. But actually I think it's perfectly fine to use the last three lines, despite the brackets - Tolkien may have intended to revise them, but of course that's true of many texts.

I'm a little less sure about Winter Comes to Nargothrond. As much as I love this poem, I don't know if we really gain much of anything by chopping it up and inserting it into the Lay. So I think I lean toward omitting it and sticking with the Lay as written.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote