View Single Post
Old 03-20-2014, 10:30 AM   #88
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotrelf View Post
You guys are way too harsh on Jackson.
I disagree. If they had to adapt the books to film, it could have been done without alienating so many long term print devotees.

Quote:
My thoughts were that he won't be much happy. If I'm not wrong, Tolkien did not want to make movies based on his books.
Tolkien said in a letter that he thought the books "unsuitable for dramatisation". Seeing how he castigated a proposed animated adaptation for doing things like having the Eagles carry the Fellowship early in the Quest, and describing Lórien as in line with "the gimcrack of modern fairy tales", I do think he would have been severely unimpressed; though not necessarily with the omissions in the films, but the outright alterations, some of which, like Faramir trying to take Frodo to Minas Tirith, are downright obscene.

Quote:
Had it not been for his movies, I'd missed these books too. None of my friends read books, of any kind (they think it's a time waste!). CT is right about the books and the movies. I'd have acted the same way, if I had read the books first.
The inducement into reading the books is the sole benefit to the movies, in my opinion. I only wish you were not in the minority, as I fear.