View Single Post
Old 02-23-2006, 09:00 AM   #16
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith
Oh, how I *despise* Turgon.....
He's one of my least favourite characters too. Of course he is not evil in the way that Morgoth was evil, but his behaviour is still highly questionable to me. I think that hiding away his city was a natural reaction to the threat his people faced, but in doing so he effectively condemned said people to a life (and an endless life, at that) in a prison. Gondolin, the Gated Community of Arda. Hmmm...

Then there was his reaction to the appearance of Eol. Rules of Gondolin aside, I think his sense of 'ownership' of Aredhel was questionable at best, and when trying to decide who was the bigger hot-head, Turgon or Eol, I find that they are not very different at all.

Turgon seems to have the attitude of the 'conqueror', and once settled in his new land, he becomes insular. I think that it was no mistake that attitude towards the first Men to enter Gondolin was very different to that expressed towards Eol; he may have come to realise that the hope to keep Gondolin secret was one held in vain.

I realise many will disagree with me, but this is one of my favourite topics of argument.

In terms of who was the 'best' King, I think it would have to be Gil-galad. But in terms of which was most interesting and complex, I may possibly opt for Feanor, even though I do not like him very much.