View Single Post
Old 02-24-2004, 06:47 AM   #22
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Re: Scouring mentioned earlier in this thread:

As much as I bleated on and on this last year about there not being a scouring of the shire, I now know why it was not included. In a cinematic sense we have already had the Climax to the film in action terms.

To have had another battle, (albeit an important one that shows the growth of the hobbits, and more importantly the irony of the War of the Ring finishing up on Frodo's doorstep where it kind of started) would not have worked on film to an 'non - book' movie goer.

Now I don't give a rat's bottom about wether a non-reader of the book enjoyed the film or not, or if they were fidgeting waiting for the end of the film, but Jackson was dealing with a quarter of a million dollars plus of money (that wasn't his own) so his hands were tied into making the ending without the Scouring.

I would have loved to see it, but come on, we're letting our hearts rule our heads on this one.

PS Lostreigel, your point

Quote:
Now, about Celeborn, I loved him going as well, I think PJ made a great decision there, itīs one of the things I least liked in the books.
I think what Tolkien was showing is that Galadriel (and Elrond) had to make the 'sacrifice' of leaving Middle-earth almost immeadiately after the Ring was destroyed because the Rings they (and Gandalf) had used were tied up with the One Ring, and all was fading on Middle-earth that was built with them. This could also include themselves to some extent?

Celeborn had unfinished business before they were to leave Middle-earth. ie He (and not Galadriel) was the leader of their Company of Elves. How could he up and leave them until all had returned West?

The reason why we have Celeborn leave with Galadriel in the film is becuase it's stated in the film that this was the LAST ship to leave Middle-earth for Valinor. (And in this case, bye bye forever for Frodo and Sam.........) I'm not sure why Jackson did this.

Last edited by Essex; 02-24-2004 at 06:57 AM.
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote