View Single Post
Old 09-01-2015, 10:25 AM   #17
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Two Towers Network - Group F Preview
-Boro88

*Team Name (Round team was knocked out in 2013 ; Goals scored - Goals conceded)*

GROUP F

We continue on with previewing the groups with a look at Group F today. The teams making up Group F are 2 perenniel powerhouses and quarterfinalists from 2013, and 2 low-budget squads still looking for an opportunity of breaking through to the playoff barrier.

Armenelos (Quarterfinals ; 8-6)
-Additions: MF Tar Meneldur
-Subtractions: MF Ar Gimilzor

Armenelos virtually changed nothing in the offseason, just swapping out a pair of defensive mid-fielders Tar Meneldur in for Ar Gimilzor. The Numenoreans are champions, plain and simple, and always in a hunt for the title. It is no different this year, but one must think if they want to improve on their 2013 performance they had to do more. The defense relies on ball control and team work, so it'll be solid and reliable as always under Tar Telperien and Tar Atanamir, but it's no longer elite. On sheer pride, skill, and experience I can't see how Mordor or The Barrow-downs could possibly knock Armenelos out of a playoff berth. Despite this feeling Armenelos should be doining more, they always seem to be contenders for the quarter-finals and even further.

Mordor (Group ; 4-3)
-Additions: MF Sangahyando, MF Angamaite, DF Radbug
-Subtractions: MF Mouth, DF Gothmog II, DF Fellbeast #4

I feel like the only reason this team exists is to ensure, no matter how poorly it performs, it always makes a profit and then Sauron can invest that profit into his "other" Mordor team. That at least seems to be evident this year, where Sauron bolstered his Barad-dur roster and pretty much poached the best players from this Mordor team. I'm not sure how fans of this team feel about being a money-maker for another club, but I guess it makes no difference to them if there's one "home" team to cheer for and is doing well. Mordor remained competitive and nearly advanced in 2013 in a group with all Middle-earth clubs. But contesting the powers of the World, and the full might and wealth of the greatest kingdom of Men is not going to happen.

The Barrow-Downs (Group ; 3-6)
-Additions: FW Witch-King, MF Argeleb II
-Subtractions: MF Lalwende MP, GK Alien

The Barrow-Downs has made quite a few respectable changes to their roster last couple years and the team seems serious about competing. If Armenelos and Valimar get careless and haughty they can't overlook the Barrow-Downs this year. Their striker partnership can go on a tear of goals because they match up well against the other teams. The Witch-King I expect will flex his dominance over the inferior Mordor team. And when Bombadil has his head in the match (which there is no question he will, the question is what happens to the Barrow-Downs when he doesn't? Because that's also certain to happen), he has terrorized the Valar and Numenoreans before. He'll have to, because as dominating as the Witch-King will bew against Mordor, he'll shrivel into nothing against the greater powers.

Valimar (Quarterfinals ; 7-6)
-Additions: MF Tilion, DF Eonwe
-Subtractions: MF Ingwe, MF Irmo

Well this is the Valar team that's all in and have the highest payroll of all 32 clubs. We've seen these high priced Manwe teams fail before, due to complacency and inaction. However, I agree with MenelSport's assessment that with Arien and Tilion left to their own devices in their attacking positions, I can't see Valimar getting bitten again by their past failures from being dreadfully conservative. They'll still play excellent defense, and conservative with a lead, but Arien and Tilion have a far greater ability to score a quick goal if needed, than Manwe's teams have been able to show in the past. Still, a foul air of failure hangs over this team, and that simply can't happen to Valimar this year.