View Single Post
Old 05-22-2002, 11:16 AM   #302
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

(LOL)

Treasure, did someone mention TREASURE? And my own leatherbound volume.....?

It's amazing how such things make one bolder. (Tears of joy streamed down Child's sweet face.) She had begin to relax noticeably and was no longer shaking. Pictures of a tall and vengeful Mithadan faded into oblivion, as she envisioned showing off this new tomb (er, tome)to her admiring friends.

Then, to the dismay of her companions Birdland and Piosenniel, Child began
speaking of several related and unrelated topics in quite loud tones. Birdland hesitated to stop her, but rolled her eyes upwards as she knew from experience that this might go on for some time.

Child fondly related: "I do have certain points in common with my relation Bilbo Baggins. Did you know I was his fifth cousin twice removed?.... He has promised me that I may add a very small appendix to the revised Purple Book of Westmarch which is due to be reissued later this year in connection with the retelling of the story of the Twin (that is, Two!) Towers."

"And, of course, Bilbo and I do like a bit of treasure now and then as long as there are no rings involved. Hobbits get quite nervous when it comes to rings. We far prefer bracelets and necklaces."

"But to be frank, I am a far better burglar than that rascal Bilbo. Despite what Master Tolkien implies, female hobbits have superior skills in this regard. We are always needing to hide our mushrooms and other food, since we have children who may sneak into the pantry and devour everything in sight. So we mothers have become extremely clever in the art of concealment."

"Now, when you first mentioned a conspiracy, I had assumed you meant that I should instantly go and steal Sting from Frodo(who by the way is my fourth cousin twice removed) and then run Mithadan though with this sword. This seemed a bit ambitious for one of my size and nature."

"Plus, I would not like to distress cousin Frodo unduly as he is already laying on the ground and hyperventilating in relation to some piece of jewelry which he has evidently mislaid."

"But, should you require the skills of an expert burglar, with no assasination thrown in, I am confident that something might be arranged. Any swordplay or other violent measures would, of course, have to be left to the two of you. (Looks at Piosenniel and Birdland expectently. They have huddled about her in a small circle and are attempting to get Child to lower her voice).

All voices now drop to an indistinguishable whisper....."Now, what sort of theft did you have in mind? Perhaps, the master key to the Barrow-downs, or perhaps something else........."

Mithadan continues to glare at the group from the adjoining table. He takes out a notebook and a writing instrument and begins to scratch slowly on the sheets. Elsewhere the party continues to spin onwards.

[ May 22, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]

[ May 22, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]