View Single Post
Old 02-11-2003, 11:56 PM   #138
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Obo smartly snapped the reins over the pony's back and sent the cart flying down the length of Bagshot Row. He stopped in front of Hamfast's place to pick up the others who had hurriedly gathered there on the front doorstep.

Mister Bilbo had Elanor and another hobbit in tow whom Obo had not seen before. Marigold ran out and began to climb up onto the wagon.

Bilbo quickly introduced the lad who'd come along with him, "Bowman Proudfoot, here." He briefly explained. "He's agreed to come and help us, and I wasn't about to turn his assistance down!"

The boy fixed a stubborn eye on Obo, but then grudgingly nodded his head to acknowledge the older man. The farmer said nothing in reply, but wondered how this lad had managed to ingratiate himself with Bilbo. He seemed to be a bit disrespectful, and was certainly not to Obo's liking. A thought ran through the farmer's mind. I certainly hope Camelia doesn't take a liking to this one!

Then they turned the cart about and set it on the main road that led in the direction of Bywater and the Green Dragon Inn. Just as they reached the door of the Inn, Obo turned about to Bilbo and said with some concern, "I hope my daughter hasn't been a nuisance again. I know Camelia's always hanging about Bag-end. If you'd like, I'll keep her at home and put her to some honest work, so she'll stay out of your affairs."

Bilbo shook his head, "Not at all, not at all. Cami is a great help to us. Don't give it a second thought."

Bilbo briefly explained about the party and the errand that the children had been sent out on, and what had happened at the Mill.

Obo shook his head, "I don't like the sound of it! Cami's no thief, but if she's been so careless with your money, she'll have to be taught a lesson. I won't have you paying all that for her, when she's the one responsible for this mix-up."

Bilbo put his hand on Obo's shoulder. "Now let's not jump to any conclusions. Perhaps there's something else going on here."

Just at that instant, they pulled up to the Inn, and eveyone got out of the cart. As the five hobbits walked in through the main entryway, every guest in the common room looked up and sat on the edge of their chair, listening eagerly to see what was going to happen. Ted was still standing over Cami and shrieking accusations at the top of his lungs. The shirriff was trying to calm the lad down, while Cami was hunched up into a miserable ball and looked as if she was about to burst out crying.

The minute Mister Bilbo walked in, everyone fell silent. The shiriff nodded his head towards him, and the Innkeeper gave a polite nod. However eccentric Bilbo was judged by others in the community, no one could deny that the name of Baggins carried a great deal of authority in the environs of Hobbiton and Bywater. Now, that he was here, they were quite happy to defer to him to straighen out this matter, especially when he carried such a large bag of coins by his side.

"Excuse me, Mister Bilbo," the shirriff began, "But can you throw any light onto this problem? Is this lass a thief who's been misusing the good name of Baggins, or has there been some misunderstanding?"

At this point, Cami unwrapped herself from her tiny ball, took one long look at Bowman Proudfoot, and began to sob in earnest.

[ February 12, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]