View Single Post
Old 10-23-2005, 06:10 PM   #96
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
But neither is there any reason to think that he did 'go on to Mandos and so forth afterwards.'
Oh yes there is. It is presented as fact in Tolkien that the souls of the departed go to Mandos whatever fate awaits them beyond that or if they are able and wish to, they can refuse the call. (I'm afraid I can't recall off the top of my head if Men are able to do this. I think Elves can but I'm not sure about Men. I'd be inclined to think they can't, but that is just a hunch). There is no reference to a soul being destroyed before The End. Sauron's spirit was not destroyed. Not even Morgoth's was destoryed (yet). Barring explicit statement to the contrary, we have to assume Gollum's soul endured as well.

The burden of proof here is entirely on your side. I await any evidence you can present with great anticipation.

Quote:
Unlike Frodo he never got the chance to be healed. Where there's life there's hope, as the Gaffer used to say. If Eru used Gollum as the means to His (laudable & necessary) end, thereby removing his chance of a 'deathbed' confession & repentance, does that oblige Eru to give him another chance, or did he have his chance & throw it away for good (or evil)?
I would say Gollum refused his chance. A finite creature can only have a limited number of chances after all.