View Single Post
Old 08-07-2003, 12:18 PM   #18
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Esgallhugwen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Like Tolkien himself said about his work<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Some who have read the book, or at any rate have reviewed it, have found it boring, absurd, or contemptible; and I have no cause to complain, since I have similiar opinions of their works, or of the kinds of writing that they evidently prefer. But even from the points of view of many who have enjoyed my story there is much that fails to please. IT IS PERHAPS NOT POSSIBLE IN A LONG TALE TO PLEASE EVERYBODY AT ALL POINTS, OR TO DISPLEASE EVERYBODY AT THE SAME POINTS; for I find from the letters that I have recieved that the passages or chapters that are to some A BLEMISH ARE BY ALL OTHRS SPECIALLY APPROVED. The most critical reader of all, myself, now finds many defects, minor and major, but being fortunately under no obligation either to review the book or to write it again, he will pass over these in silence, except one that has been noted by others: the book is too short.<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P>So you see even Tolkien himself knew that he could not please everybody with his work and I'm sure that PJ knows this as well. And I agree with many of you who say that he has introduced many to Tolkien's work and that is something that one should be proud of. <p>[ August 07, 2003: Message edited by: Esgallhugwen ]