View Single Post
Old 02-16-2011, 11:14 AM   #45
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Hmm, this does indeed sound very promising. I'm not actually sure that I should play at this time (having a three months old puppy around who demands attention and is still prone to leaving malodorous protest notes all over the house whenever I spend too much time at the computer), but if the sign-up continues as sluggishly as it's been these past days, I'll be sorely tempted (especially with a 3pm CT = 9pm GMT DL, which would be pure candy for me on most Days) - so maybe you can sign me up with a question mark for the time being?
I can do that, especially as a lot of players have written me saying that they can't play due to scheduling. It may be a long time before this game actually gets started.

Quote:
1. Does the KD count as an innocent or as a Forger in the tally - i.e. what happens when the village is down to one or two innocents, one Forger and the KD? (If I remember correctly, the 'saboteur' role Zil had in Eönwë's game counted as a wolf, so part of his job description was to get himself lynched along with his packmates.)
The KD counts as an innocent in the tally.

Quote:
This situation is going to arise as soon as the next-to-last genuine Forger is lynched and his/her role revealed; at this point the last one will realize that their remaining 'packmate' has to be the KD and will kill him this very Night, before the KD can announce himself to the village. If the Night Watchman is still alive, the KD can try to get himself protected and reveal the next Day, otherwise it'll be game over, Forge wins.
Which means (unless I'm overlooking something) that the game is only winnable for the KD and the innocents if the NW survives long enough. Left to himself, without protection, the KD can't win.
Interesting thought and one that I had not considered.

Quote:
Maybe this is just me, but I suggest you reconsider about the Forge gaining instant victory by killing the KD. I feel it's a little hard on the ordinary innocents to make the outcome of the game dependent on the survival of a single player, which is largely beyond their influence (especially under the conditions described above).
I put that clause in because it seemed like the KD had so much advantage over the Forges. But upon examining it, I realize that there is plenty of ways the KD might be knocked off and the Forges to regain their usual chances of winning. I will reconsider.

Quote:
4. Will the KD be played by Bruce Dern? After all, Silent Running is his job description, isn't it?
I'm afraid I don't know who Bruce Dern is, so that reference went over my head.

Now, so far, there are nine names on the list and three of those are put down with question-marks. As I said above, lots of people have written saying they can't play for sometime - weeks or months - and I was wondering if it is advisesable to plan on waiting to start this game until at least some of these players are available? In the mean time, I can be reworking my idea and fine tuning it.

I think it'd be fine to keep this thread up. I like the conversation going on here and the suggestions you all are giving to me - I couldn't make it better without you. And also, if the thread remains up, people can keep signing up, however slowly. Just know, all you who have signed in, it might be a long time before the game actually starts. I'd like to know - are you alright with that?

I'd also like to know what's the minimum number of players? Twelve is what I have in mind, but I feel that might be boring. I'd like closer to fifteen or more. But we don't have more than six certain players, and twelve seems like a hard number to reach, much less fifteen!