View Single Post
Old 12-04-2003, 01:26 PM   #192
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Will Farroweed

‘Ma, I’m going now!’

Letty’s footsteps hurried to the door of the room where they had spent the night. Like a mother hen after the fox has been nosing about, she wanted to keep her chicks close. But Will was set on going out to work on the dike this morning and would not be persuaded.

It might be said he had had an epiphany of sorts, seeing the bigger, stronger group of ruffians threaten his family and destroy much of their belongings. But such a word might be too strong for the dawning understanding that had crept into his fourteen year old brain. He was beginning to understand the effects that rough and bullying actions had on those who were unwilling victims. And while he had not yet generalized those budding realizations to the whole of his conduct, he was sickened by the sense of loss and fear that now shadowed his mother, his siblings, and himself.

And Farmer Thistle and his sons, attacking th larger bandit group - their aid had come uncalled for the night of the raid. And the kindness the Hobbits had shown to his mother as they saw the bedraggled family safely to the Inn. His cheeks flushed a little at the thought of them and he wondered if he would have stepped up if they had been in dire need. He shrugged away those thoughts as useless. ‘I would now,’ he said to himself, picking up the shovel he’d borrowed from Andreth. He brandished his shovel like a club, shaking it at an imaginary group of the bandits.

Pearl and Hamson Comfrey saw him as they entered the Inn for classes. They drew back, cringing against the wall, as he drew near, his shovel in hand. Hamson’s little hand clung onto his sister’s in a tight fist, and he shut his eyes tight against the blow or shove he expected.

There was only the soft brush of Will’s cloak against Hamson’s arm as he passed, and the mumbled ‘Sorry’ trailing after the retreating figure of the older boy. The two hobbits walked on toward class, wondering – had Will just made an apology of sorts to them?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

‘Right, then, mates!’ came the crew boss’ dismissal. He had outlined the new plan for the day. The staves that Will and some of the other boys had sharpened were to be driven deep into the bottom of the ditch just before the dike, and covered lightly with leafy branches. The men were just finishing up the clearing of the ditch to the north, the boss had said, and now were working their way back toward them, placing the pointed staves. Will’s group and several others would be working their way northward toward them. ‘The Hobbits who are working on the Hedge have brought piles of extra branches for us to use,’ he went on, explaining the carts filled with leafy offering that had begun arriving. ‘You, Will, and your little gang – you follow along behind us and get the staves hidden. The Hobbits will lend you one of their wagons.’

Roddy snickered at the boss once he had finished giving directions and turned away. ‘Hobbits! Surely he can’t think we’ll want to use anything the little rats have touched. Much less speak with them.’ His complaint was cut short by a smart rap to the back of his head by Will. ‘None of that now. This is serious business. Just do what is needed and don’t make trouble.’

Old habits die hard and a bit of the old Will flared up as he grabbed Roddy's arm to emphasize his point. ‘Or you’ll have me to deal with . . . understand?’

[ 3:25 PM December 04, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]