View Single Post
Old 06-10-2008, 07:22 PM   #180
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
When Liornung's song was half done, a heavy sigh came from Amroth, but after it a smile tugged at the corners of his mouth and a light came into his eyes: different than the fevered glitter; this was easy merriment.

Liornung, you should have joined us in the clearings on a midsummer's night. Would that we could have brought you there, even as you have just brought me there.

Liornung cheered up still further, and Amroth bent his gaze upon Nimrodel. But you did join us, my gazelle. I did bring you there. You remember. You were the fleetest of us all, and your song the sweetest. You remember.

Liornung gasped. He stood in the center of a ring, and all about him, elves and elf maidens wove a wild maze of pathways. Circling round and round, madly weaving, wildly laughing, singing as they danced, and yet there was never a mis-step. He wondered how they could catch their breath. The dance went on and on, with never a hint of weariness. Flowers bent under their feet, but sprang up again, only to be tread upon by the next, and the next; yet Liornung knew that in the morning, there would be no marks to show where their feet had passed.

Nimrodel, lying in the ash at the foot of the rock, stirred. "The circle dances. Of course. How could I forget? The endless circle dances."

Liornung gasped again, filling his lungs with ash. He stood beside Nimrodel, in the center of a ring, and all about them, the dead wove a wild maze of pathways. Circling round and round, weaving, crying and mocking and wailing, they danced; they were never out of breath. The dance went on and on, with never a hint of weariness. Rocks went through their feet undisturbed; there were no footprints prints in the ash. In the morning, there would be no marks to show where their feet had passed.

Nimrodel swayed to the rythm of their cries, and waved her arms at them as they whirled round her.
"So step and give a little dance
and light and lively sway and prance!"

She nodded, and turned to Liornung. "Yes, Oathbreaker. A fine song, for a circle dance. Shall we join them? Here, take my hand!" She laughed, and reached for Luiornung's hand; her hand passed through his. Or was it his hand that passed through hers? Her laughter raing out harshly, and Liornung winced.

The ash cleared, and it was Amroth's hand she was reaching for. Her hand passed through his, but she gazed into his face, her eyes hungry, her breath caught. She reached for him again; he reached for her; their hands passed through each other. Her anger flared. "Oathbreaker, " she hissed. "Hey, now, step along! Oathbreaker!" She recoiled from him, and then stopped. He held her gaze.

"Why have you not come, " she accused him.

"I have come now. I am here, Clearwater."

"You are... here?"

"I am here. Leave the ash behind, my love."

"The ash." She turned, and looked around; the midsummer green of Lorien beckoned to her. Yet the leaves began to fall. As they fell, they turned from green to gold; and then brighter and brighter, they began to burn.

Amroth cried out. Elves broke out of the circle and began to flee, beckoning and crying out to Amroth and Nimrodel that they should run. Nimrodel gazed in horror. To the west, a shadow grew. Amroth and Nimrodel shrank from it; but they were rooted to the ground, unable to run. On it came; the blackness grew, the shadow deepened, and even the leaves still on the trees began to burn. Soon entire Mallorns were engulfed in flames, and the shadow towered over the trees. Nimrodel screamed; Amroth cried out in horror and fear.

Shadow and flame.

Erebemlin stood beside the king. My lord! Heed it not! He laid his great hand on the kings' shoulder, and furrowed his brow against the shadow.

In a moment, there was only grey. They stood among the ash, and the barren stones. Nimrodel went back to the rock, lay down in the ash, and shut her eyes.

Last edited by mark12_30; 02-19-2009 at 10:09 AM.