View Single Post
Old 08-19-2005, 06:13 PM   #60
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
Which album? I've not seen that - mind you, I gave up on looking at album sleeve notes when they stopped doing vinyl as it just lost all the excitement.

It's on the Dear Catastrophe Waitress CD. I call such comments "liner notes" but then I go back to vinyl. They are signed "Stuart" and dated 21st July '03.

Quote:
The subject moves around the 'The Two Towers.'

"I mean, what were the Two Towers anyway? In the film it makes out they were Saruman's bit and Sauron's bit. I always thought it was meant to be Minas Tirith and Minas Morgul."

I kind of agree with him. That would make the most poetic sense. There are four towers to choose from though. Orthanc, Morgul, Tirith and Garad-Dur.

"I'm surprised Tolkien didn't give the Hobbits a tower as well."

Well they had a sort of mound.

They (sic) are twelve ways you can pick two towers from four, right? Pick one from four and then one from the remaining. Three times four is twelve....I got to get out more. But I am out! Maybe I've got to stay in.
I wouldn't put too much stock in that as the notes are all a bit random really. Maybe just a bit like the attitude of some here. Scotch that. It's all random. I was told where to hang if I wanted to meet them when I was in Glasgow. But I saw them here. Great performance, fun, whimsical, entertaining, interactive. Nothing about Tolkien there unless you'd want to consider the performance a bit Hobbitish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12_30
I don't understand why you hear elves in their music from the samples I chose; so-- Hint me here! Which songs/ albums are you referring to? And what about them strikes you as elvish/ elvishness?
I won't answer for Eomer but I certainly hear the elves in Siggur Ros' CD ( ). It is first of all very emotionally evocative music. But I hear plaintive longing for times past all wrapped up with keening about a poignant loss that is about to come. Maybe it's something circum-polar, to do with the midnight sun and lightless days.

Last edited by Bęthberry; 08-20-2005 at 08:50 AM.
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote