View Single Post
Old 07-12-2011, 05:35 PM   #3291
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
It's mid December...December13, I believe. They are about a month into winter, are they not? At least? We've described hard frosts, freezing wind, and snow...
Heh, I thought it was a bit earlier (even if not much), but it comes down to what kind of climate we think Rohan has... I mean if you come to the central or northern Finland, December is more often than not wintertime with snow on the ground "permanently" and temperatures below freezing, but in Helsinki it has not been so for decades (on average - not counting the last two years which have been like back in the seventies) - and if you go to the Central Europe, it's not winter that early as if there is winter at all it is January & February... I don't know how it works in the States though.

But what I mean is, that in up North you will have a Winter where it is snow, ice and below freezing for months - and thus some freezing wind or occasional snow doesn't make a winter. But what is our idea of a Rohanian "winter"? I think we haven't thought about it yet and have our own unreflected ideas about it - and I can see I have myself been too sloppy about it.

Maybe we should exchange some views about the winter of Rohan, just to be on the same page?