View Single Post
Old 03-06-2021, 06:28 PM   #403
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
I've tried to sing the current version, and while I haven't managed to hit the cues on 'O Silmarils' yet (I'll need to work backwards from the end to figure out the timing for the early parts), I can say for sure that it's not too fast - because I finished singing at least one line early! So I can definitely fit it in, and I feel like they're supposed to be rushing a bit here - 'oh yeah, we promises Dad, better remind ourselves real quick'.
Hmm. When the high note comes on after the long deep chord, is when it starts. I put a brief 1-2-3 "countdown" to it as a cue. I'll see if I can get a recording done too, to see how well it actually works as the cue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
Also haven't got the 'the mortal would take' etc section down yet, but again, it just needs a bit of practice. I may get some time tomorrow evening to figure it out and get a rough recording.
I've had some trouble with that part myself, I think because the words don't quite fall onto a natural rhythm. I need to say it a few times in my head before it comes out decently.

ETA: a couple quick recordings -
1. Quarrel: it's fun! I didn't do the Do You Wanna Fight Me part justice, and tripped up on The Mortal, and for whatever reason was slightly off beat on Finrod Beats Us To It. But I found O Silmarils doable. You're right, it's faster but not unreasonably fast. Still, happy to follow your preference on the speed for this one.

2. Minions: this came out horribly off tune, but I was too cold to do another run today. Please don't pay attention to the quality of the singing, but this is kinda what I was imagining for the timing of the last stanza. Which is why I was so excited when you posted your version with "Oh my lord upon our border" in those spots, I didn't even think about that possibility. So I've been wondering if it might do well with "Oh my lord -!" x2, before the hesitant little minion voice comes in (I really like the hesitant minion, it's like he's scared he'll get smitten for speaking up). Or a full "Oh my lord, upon our border". Or "Oh my lord" the first time, and "upon our border" the second. Or "there is something" the second. So many possibilities! What are your thoughts on this? Anyways, once we figure the lyrics out, I will try to get a real and on-tune recording done sometime next week.

Speaking of lyrics, it's a minor thing, but what are your thoughts on "it shall brighten up my leisure", instead of "it will"?

Last edited by Galadriel55; 03-06-2021 at 07:26 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote