View Single Post
Old 10-17-2002, 10:08 PM   #27
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

GildorInglorion--

Quote:
I think the question of why he left is closely related to why he was alowed to.
If you have the choice, I think you would want to (I would!)
I agree with you that there was, in addition to the need for healing, a personal choice that was exercised.

Some time ago there was a very interesting thread in which we looked at some of the "positive" factors which were also pulling Frodo to the Blessed Lands. Wish I could find that thread, but am now too sleepy to think straight.

I don't think anyone would question that the need for healing was the most important reason that Frodo felt impelled to leave.But then you quickly come to another level of questioning. Did Frodo depart solely out of despair at his physical and psychic wounding, or were there things within him which made the departure from GreyHavens something more than that? Most of us on that thread felt that something more was indeed involved. That included all kinds of things: his visions at the house of Bombadil and in Rivendell, his stated longing for the Sea, Frodo's position as an Elf-friend, the light in Frodo's face which suggests some kind of spiritual connection much like the Elves themselves and their reflection of the light. We had quite a lengthy list.

So it was, I think, more than just a one-dimensional decision. Surely the need for healing came first, but these other factors motivated him as well.

sharon, the 7th age hobbit

[ October 18, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]