View Single Post
Old 03-30-2003, 11:27 AM   #45
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Barrow-Wight, that tracker is cool. You rock! I love the quotes section. (edit) Hey, we even have a link on the main page! Go, Rivendell Walkers!

Niluial, cold seems to be the order of the day! I spent this morning out in the rain (drenching, pouring rain) cheering for my hobbit-hiking-buddy while she accumulated distance rowing in her first regatta! (Four-seat, women's novice eight... She must have Brandybuck blood.) It was pouring so hard I was looking for Noah's ark to float by, or for a cavilcade of drenched and grumpy Erebor-questers to trot by...
Quote:
"To think it will soon be June, " grumbled Bilbo as he splashed along behind the others in a very muddy track. It was after tea-time; it was pouring with rain, and had been all day; his hood was dripping into his eyes, his cloak was full of water....
... meanwhile on the river, these rowers were all wearing spandex and cotton. No sweats?? There wasn't a rower on the water that wasn't drenched to the skin and shivering, some of them violently. I've never seen so many freezing-cold women.

(When I was in crew, we dressed sensibly on days like this-- what the heck were those coaches THINKING? How can you row at your best when you're shivering so hard at the starting line you can hardly hold your form?)
Quote:
"And I'm sure the rain has got into the dry clothes and the food bags, " thought Bilbo. "Bother burgling and everything to do with it! I wish I was at home in my nice hole by the fire with the kettle just beginning to sing!"
My hobbit-hiking-buddy was grateful for the lembas and cranberry juice I brought. But next time, I'll bring tea (or chai) in a thermos. The local coffee shop got the business this time.

Anyway-- I wonder how far she rowed today. It was probably a 2000 meter race (most sprints are.) So "there and back again", 4000 meters or so including warm-up. Gutsy hobbit-lass!

[ March 30, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]