View Single Post
Old 04-23-2003, 02:23 PM   #8
hobbit punk
Haunting Spirit

hobbit punk has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have red hair and hazel eyes in real life... that's close to red and green. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] It is true that redheads are far and few between in ME but that just makes them all the more unique and mysterious. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Red hair has never been hailed as a very noble color. It has been more associated with fire and anger, like when you think of the celtic warriors and ogres and giants you think more of red hair and when you think of something like King Arthur, blonde, noble hair comes to mind. Now, before people jump all over me telling me that Arthur had red hair and that I am wrong, remember that this is just a theory and it relates to how we associate color with ideas and emotions. I plan to do a bit of research into this to see if it has any merit. What I am suggesting is that since Tolkien took most of his inspiration from Artherian legend, that maybe the old ideas of red hair being associated not with honor and valar but with witchery is an explanation of why there are so few redheads in middle earth. The sandy-haired people of middle earth may not be evil but they are scarce because blond hair makes the elves appear more nobel. Also, the fact that some of the sons of Feanor had red hair is interesting because Feanor himself is described as having a fire lit inside of him. Thus, his sons are also firey and some have red hair. But I am only halfway through the Silmarillion(closing the gap rapidly though) so I am not judging totally on that yet. Whew! Well, hope this doesn't bore you and give it some thought. It is a pretty simply theory but being carrot topped myself, I like to learn about the history of my fellow firey heros. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ April 23, 2003: Message edited by: hobbit punk ]