View Single Post
Old 09-11-2005, 08:54 AM   #370
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuranar
After a week of waiting, figuring out you ordered the mIcroeconomics book when you needed the mAcroeconomics book. The test is in three days.
No worries, dear. Just tell your professor that economics is simply the study of scarcity of resources and how society decides to allocate what they've got. If you feel like being brave, add a bit about how society is obvious bad at this job, because we've got enough resources on our planet, we're just bad at shuffling so that everybody gets what they need. Add a pinch about how current events affect all levels of economics (or did nobody else see gas prices shoot up about $0.30 right after Katrina?) and you should be covered. Or just PM the phantom. He likes the subject.

I assign classes that I couldn't stand but that I still did really well in. Just because I aced the final (five essays in one hour) in Economics didn't mean that I wanted to tutor anybody in the class. Just because I could scrape a B in Calculus didn't mean that I a) liked it or b) had any idea how I managed it. Just because I understood just how E could equal MC^2 didn't mean I was comfortable enough with the theory to explain it to anybody else.

And I assign crystal clear memories. Not the good ones... the good ones you can never quite remember perfectly any how. It's always the bad ones that you'd like to put away in a deep vault (hooray for repression!) that spring to mind most clearly and leave you feeling just like you did four years ago this day. It's always the bad ones that leave you to remember each word from each person (they had been scarce that day) and each gut-wrenching reaction the entirely unbelievable that you were watching happen live on a television in front of you, when you should have been in class. And remembering seeing your most stoically unflappable teacher.... crying. Those memories should go.