View Single Post
Old 02-09-2005, 01:15 PM   #75
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Since in "Of Dwarves and Men" the point of view is some times clearly the storyteller from the out side, we can not use the text completly. Some parts such as the discussion that the production of sheet of the book of Marzarbul is driving the issue to far most go.
Actually I think that such small additions as the one discussed now must realy wait for the text to be produced. The goal of my post about the chapter structer was much more general then the detailed discussion that we do now. For bits that we can add in without skipping material from the Quenta Silmarillion I do not see a big problem in the chapter structur, we can either incooperat them into the Quenta Silmarillion or show them as a seperate tale e.g. the Athrabeth and 12 Of the Sindar.
The problem I saw and that I wanted to discuss was the incooperation of the "Great Tales" for which we clearly have to skip chapters from the Quenta Silmarillion (even if some of these chapter would realy be only virtually existing or hopelessly outdated). Thus I see 2 main issues for this discussion in the moment:
1. Do we a) present the chapters of the Quenta Silmarillion as such or do we b) simply tell the tale of th elder day without indication of its source or tradition?
2. How do we present the wild mixture of texts at the end of the First Age?

My chapterstructure did answer question 1 with a) and tried to stick to that answere in question 2 as well. This might seem a bit confusing, but I think in the actuell "book" (or rather document) we could make that clearer by the use of toplines altering from left to right which include on side the chapter name and on the other the Great Tale to which that chapter belongs.

Beside that, I found that some minor points need a discussion which could be done here as well:
1. Earlier there had been the idea to split the chapter Tuor and the Fall of Gondoiln in two parts to deal with the whol story in a more chronological way. This was never mentioned again. I do not support this in any way, and wanted only bury that idea once and for all.
2. In the Doriath chapter we had some differgent ideas of subheadings and chapter breaks. I think that such an overview of what is to come would be the right place to discuss this issue as well.
3. As it seems to me, that we have already missed a chapterbreak between the "Of the Voyage of Earendil" and "Of the Great Battle and the War of Wrath". But I am at a lose to insert it with out a consens.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote