View Single Post
Old 11-16-2004, 05:26 AM   #14
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

Brace yourselves, I even found more parallels between Amon Sul and Amon Hen. Both times, Aragorn led the Company (of hobbits, then the Fellowship) to these places, and both times Gandalf was absent from the Company. Both times Gandalf is "alive," and near the Company, he's just absent from it. And Both times these two "Amon's" are the near failure of the quest.

First time, Frodo is stabbed and if it wasn't for Aragorn very well could have been the end of the quest. Amon Hen, Boromir causes the "near failure" of the quest, but he also helps the quest to succeed (Good job Boro).

Frodo's wondering around alone, with the threat of orcs about, and with that Boromir gets his chance to claim the ring as his own. But, he was the deciding force that warned Frodo he had to get out of the Company. Of course, this is debatable, if Boromir hadn't of attacked Frodo, Frodo still very well could have left the Fellowship. But, I say Boromir is the "deciding factor" for Frodo, because even AFTER Boromir's attack Frodo finds it dificult to leave the Fellowship.
Quote:
But surely they will understand. Sam will.
Even after Boromir's attack Frodo's got to convince himself that everyone will understand why he's leaving, he's leaving because this burden is tearing the Fellowship apart. So in that regard Boromir helps the quest to succeed, I don't know if Frodo would have left the Fellowship if Boromir hadn't of gone mad, but that is debatable.

Another way I think Boromir helps the quest succeed (in this chapter) is the fact of getting Frodo out of there before the Orc attack. Again, Frodo is alone wondering around, with the threat of orcs about (As Aragorn states and Boromir reinforces), who knows if Boromir hadn't of shone up, we have Frodo in this wood alone, with no urge to "get out of the Fellowship," and to ultimately escape the Orc attack. Boromir gets Frodo to flee from the area, and ultimately from the Fellowship, just before the Orcs show up (or before they make their strike). And of course again, that idea is also debatable. Frodo still could have gotten away from the Orcs if Boromir wasn't around to give Frodo that "will" that he must leave the company.

Lastly, Davem, I understand your internal and external voices, it's sort of that "battle of good vs. evil" we all have in our hearts at times. Whether to do the "right" thing or the "wrong" thing. However, could you please elaborate more on how you feel Boromir as a personified Frodo? Yes, Boromir did try and sieze the Ring, but I think Boromir was just acting as a normal man would, or as most men would. If you would please, could you sort of explain more how Boromir is a personified Frodo, because right now at this stage, I don't see as if Frodo wants to sieze the Ring for himself, or want to cast down Sauron with it and have armies flock to his banner. I think that's a little too deep reading, but maybe if you elaborate more I will begin to understand .
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote