View Single Post
Old 01-03-2008, 08:38 PM   #437
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Lindir and Aiwendil

After the two women had spoken, Aiwendil had pulled Lindir over to his side and growled impatiently. "The free peoples of Arda do not strike down those who ask for mercy. You heard what the woman said....that they fled the plantation and are searching for a place to call their own. Can we deny them what we ourselves seek? This is how we respond to another's quest for freedom? What does that make us? I, for one, will have no part of it."

Lindir doggedly shook his head and stared over at the spot where the orc captives were pinioned on the ground. "My mind is little different than yours, although I have trouble believing this is taking place. In all my years on Arda, in all the battles and skirmishes I have seen, not once has this happened. Never has an orc made such a request. And, to be truthful, this is the first time that I have heard a female orc speak in public. Perhaps there is some shred of hope for a peace that not only binds men but at least a few of those who go by the name of orc."

"But Aiwendil, how are we to do this? For you and I to talk so lightly is one thing, but many here bear scars on their bodies from the daggers and lashes of the orcs. I can announce that a request such as this must be met with mercy. But do you think that all these men would agree? And if only one lashes out and strikes a blow, I fear it will be the beginning of a blood bath. Even if each of us in the fellowship come to an agreement, I do not see the former slaves following along so easily."

There was a long moment of silence. Lindir was about to admit defeat, but was suddenly stopped by Aiwendil who grabbed his shoulder and whispered excitedly, "Look, look over there.....our answer." There was a sly grin on the older man's face as he pointed towards a sight almost as strange as that of two female orcs begging for mercy. A scruffy looking Rôg was being prodded along, seemingly threatened by two tough looking females and the younger orc.

"Don't worry. He's alright. They won't hurt him," Aiwendil reassured the elf.

"Perhaps it would be better to say "can't hurt him". Lindir's eyes fleetingly met those of Aiwendil. It was the first time the two had acknowledged that they shared a piece of information that was not known to most of the others who were gathered on the plain. "I suppose if anyone could pull this off safely, it would be Rôg and it does give us what we need...."

Stepping to the front, Lindir spoke with authority, "Enough Qat. Beloan is right. Khamir too. Our minds have been too long on this. And which of you would act differently than these women if you found your families under attack? This whole escapade has taken our minds off what it should be on: protecting our women, our children and finding a piece of land. There has been enough killing in the last two days. This handful of orcs poses no real threat. If they come against us in an attack, we will teach them a lesson. But for now let them go."

"Swords down, step back!" Lindir commanded the men who still had the male orcs under their control. "And you!" He pointed towards the two females. "Let go of the man, or I will personally make things very unpleasant for you."

Gwella

"You be Ina?" Gwella eyed the child in her arms. "Shut up nice, and Gwella will get you a big piece of horsemeat once we get loose. Just hold on now. I'll make sure you stay dry." The female orc lifted the child onto her back and urged Ina to put her hands around Gwella's neck and shoulders. Whether the child was pacified by the orc's explanation or was simply too tired to keep yelling, the crying in the cave actually stopped. Ina clung to Gwella for dear life, but kept her eyes closed so she didn't have to look at her rescuer's face or body.

"Where's Azhar? Where's the rope?" Gwella complained as she tottered on the ledge. She clung to a small indention in the cave wall that was located above the water line but far below the actual exit. "I can't climb higher without a rope. Stupid little man, " she glared at Carl, "bring rope next time!"

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 01-04-2008 at 12:52 AM.