View Single Post
Old 03-28-2004, 08:54 AM   #46
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Aeron stared at the pearl necklace than dangled from the ranger’s calloused fingers, and pondered his proposal. He quailed at the thought of punishment if the authorities caught him and the necklace was returned to the former owner. Phantoms of dreadful punishments haunted him, ghosts of his father -- but would the authorities be cruel to him? He shrugged. He didn’t know and musing about it wasn’t going to give him the answer. Rather, what about Gwyillion? How would she survive? She could use the gold that was sprinkled about their sloven grounds, but who knew how long he’d languish in the jail? Better to go with Ravion.

But what was this thieve’s honour that he spoke so highly of? The violent aspects of it that he had mentioned? A smirk played about his lips, and inwardly he laughed. There was no such thing as honour -- even men who claimed to have her deserted her when malevolent times came. If there was only a shadow of it in noble men, how could there be any of it in thieves and rascals?

Still, if he decided to accept Ravion’s offer, he would be bound to the man with gyves of duty that almost amounted to slavery. Aeron smiled. But to every shackle there is a lock, and every lock can be picked. “Alright,” Aeron said, “I accept on one condition: that you take my sister with you. Otherwise,” he added with a ghosted smile, “you’ll have to do your own work, and I’ll suffer miserably in a jail cell.”

Last edited by Imladris; 03-28-2004 at 09:58 AM.