View Single Post
Old 10-10-2006, 09:03 PM   #110
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
"I fare as well as need be, my lord." Garstan tried not to notice the tearing pain in his shoulder, or that he could not lift his arm far above the elbow, or that fresh blood still spread its red stain over the back of his shirt and sleeve. He counted his secret oath fulfilled. Eodwine had not been forgotten when aid was needed.

"That is no answer, Garstan. Are you well enough to go on?" Eodwine's glance was keener than Garstan had known it to be for many days. Neither the fact that Garstan's face was pale nor that he drooped forward slightly on his horse went with notice.

"We must not stop now. I fear for what would happen if..."

Garstan could not finish his answer. His sight grew dim for a moment and he swayed to the side. Only Eodwine's arm stayed him from a fall. They stopped and Garstan slowly stepped down to the ground.

"This is madness. Come and rest."

Eodwine was right. Garstan knew that he could do little good at the edges of his strength, yet it galled him to stop. There was little choice. He followed Eodwine into a thicket. They tied their horses and went deeper into the trees to a spot where branches covered them.

Garstan leant wearily against a tree. His head slowly dropped to the ground and he fell into a dreamless sleep.