Thread: What Next?
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2004, 12:06 PM   #8
Petty Dwarf
Animated Skeleton

Petty Dwarf has just left Hobbiton.
Re: What Next?

1. If I hadn't been back yet and I got the FoG draft in an email I know I'd stop in. It is scary to have so many people getting a hold of a transitional text (maybe even some spies of the Estate?).

2. Waiting for some reader response (mine included) is good. I expect most to the plot issues are set after so much work and the editorial process will be limited to spelling and grammar.

3. I was around during some past voting. Namely the one where Ælfwine got axed. It's a good system but I'll leave it at this: democracy works as long as the majority is right. When the majority is wrong it doesn't. It's a good thing most of the voting will be done by people who have the right idea.

4. Getting on to Eärendil is a great move, keeping with the linear momentum built in FoG. But not so fast! Last time I was around the next step was working with the beginning: Ainulindalë and Valaquenta. Easier (by comparison) and already in the process of getting done, right?

5. There's nothing more general than "canon", and more specifically attempting a project like TftE in relation to that. It may be like preaching to the choir, but I think an open thread about why there needs to be a new Silmarillion; and maybe not just this one, but one sanctioned by the Estate. I don't know if the general Tolkien fan even thinks about this. Provoking their responses could not only generate interest in TftE but work towards changing the Estate's stance in lieu of popular opinion.