View Single Post
Old 04-25-2005, 12:56 PM   #12
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
I have always thought that Frodo always saw through Gollum/Sméagol. He knows Gollums capabilities and his limits, it seems to me.

Through the purgatory torture of the Ring (which, in Rivendell, Frodo accepted as a task rather than a possession), he becomes more Elvish as the quest proceeds. This is how I read all of the things Frodo says and does, including his words to Faramir regarding the blindfolding.
This goes for me as well, that Frodo had some sort of wisdom or special understanding pertaining to Gollem. He paid heed to Gandalf's advice about Gollem and, listening and watching, came to accept something about their relationship. Without wanting to suggest anything too explicitly religious, it often reminds me of Christ's attitude towards Judas during the Last Supper.

I have been wondering how exactly to share my comments about this chapter, but I suppose that davem's plea for participation in the Chapter by Chapter discussion is as good a place as any to pick up a thread. davem postulates a reason for the dwindling responses to the chapter discussions.

Quote:
I wonder if the movies haven't played some part in shaping people's view of the story by emphasising the Aragorn/Legolas/Gimli storyline & making it seem more interesting.

On the other hand maybe Sam got it right when he said to Frodo that at this point some readers/hearers of the story would say 'Shut the book now Dad, we don't want to read anymore.'

Is it that people find the Frodo/Sam/Gollum storyline too 'dark' & oppressive, or is it that they simply find it too boring? If its the latter, what does that say about us as readers & as Tolkien fans? I have to say that this part of the story has become increasingly meaningful & significant to me as I've grown older, so I've actually been looking forward to this part of the story. How about others? Maybe a more significant question would be, who do readers consider the 'real' hero & central character of LotR to be - Frodo or Aragorn - & how much of a part has PJ played in shaping that opinion?
For me, it has nothing to do with the film, so I shall let this little rant at PJ go by the board.

The wearying struggle of Frodo and Sam and Gollem too has an eerie appeal to me. My problem does not lie with the bleakness of their quest. It lies with some of the techniques used in this chapter.

It is possible, as davem has reminded us, that Tolkien realised he needed an extra day in this part of the story and so he was thrown upon description more than action or dialogue. However, what the description and narration accomplish for me--and I make clear that this is just my response--is a breaking of the 'willing suspension of disbelief.'

What do I mean by this? I mean that it foregrounds the typology and geography in such a way as to highlight it beyond some of the earlier descriptions. I become uneasy that this chapter suddenly bears an onerous weight of portent and symbolism. (Interestingly, I don't feel this way about the next chapter, perhaps because the imagery is blended with action, as was the imagery of Lothlorien with action. I am explicitly reminded of Lothlorien because both there and on the stairs of Cirith Ungol time is slowed down. But this is to get ahead of myself.)

I guess what I mean is that all the imagery of darkness, of crossing over into Mordor and the dark lands of the Enemy, coupled with the sudden light shining on the flowered crown of the vandalised statue, is too much. (I like how Tolkien uses the concept of grattiffi and the mock eye on the statue, however, as that is unexpected and unique, a very modern touch used with understatement.) I become too aware that this is no longer the imaginary terrain of Middle-earth but now is a hell wrought by Incarnate Evil. If there had been more development paid to the relationship of Sam, Frodo and Gollem, then I think this description would have been put in a context which would make it work better. For me at least, this chapter needs a leaven which would make the symbolism less 'obvious'.

And my hesitation in posting earlier to this chapter has to do with my unease over saying this here, not with my preference for the Aragorn/Leoglas/Gimli quest.