View Single Post
Old 12-15-2005, 02:36 PM   #4
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar
There are tidbits of information that strike me when reading through this section: Bilbo is older than Aragorn's mother, for example.
And Aragorn is older than both Denethor and Theoden...

And a most interesting coincidence, to my my mind, is the fact that Sam and Faramir are the same age- and that Faramir is consequently a good deal older than Eowyn- who is actually a few years younger than Pippin. And Frodo is older than Boromir. And Gimli was older than Aragorn.

All of which makes for a fascinating show of just how the different lifespans of the various races make for different maturities at different ages.

As regards the Tale of the Years, I read it little nowadays, but that is mainly due to having absorbed most of it in past readings. A few dates in the list have always amused me, such as 1945 being the end of a great war (the Wainrider invastion that saw the end of Ondoher and his sons. That the Kingdom of Arnor fell in the 1970s. It's also quite amusing that the fall of one of the "great towers" (Minas Ithil) occurs in 2002- a mere digit's difference from when our own Towers fell. 490, the first invasion of the Easterlings, is very close datewise to the Fall of Rome to the barbarians.

Amusing coincidences, into which I wouldn't read anything. But still, amusing.