View Single Post
Old 12-27-2006, 08:45 AM   #38
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
"Good morning Léof!" said Eodwine brightly, forgetting his troubles for the moment in the face of the immediate business to hand. "This is Randvér, and old friend of mine from the war, and his daughter Ginna. He holds lands a good day's ride north from here, and it would seem that by sheer accident I am his Eorl. Ginna will be staying at the Mead Hall for some while, so find room in the stables for a longer stay for her mount. Randvér, I am sorry to say, will be leaving us this day, so freshen his horse for the return trip."

"Aye, lord!"

"My thanks, Léof."

Léof regarded Ginna. "Welcome to the Eorling Mead Hall, Ginna." She gave him her thanks, and Léof led the two horses away.

Eodwine turned to Ginna. "As to your question, we have not settled on what you will do."

"I would have her begin amongst the humblest serving maids, lord," said Randvér, "for she is wild and willful and needs taming." Eodwine raised a brow in surprise. Randvér blushed and coughed into his hand. "I did not wish to say such embarrassments before the others in the Hall, my friend, but 'tis true." He glared at his daughter. "Is it not?"

Ginna refused to speak, but turned her face away from him and crossed her arms. Randvér turned back to Eodwine with a sigh. "You see how it is with her."

Eodwine did see, but he thought he saw more than Ginna's father did. The ire lay on both sides and wrongs would have to be admitted on both sides one day, but today was many days too early for such words. He liked the girl's spirit, and truth be told, saw that it told true that she was his daughter.

"Lowest of the low in my hall? I would not have her wilt, scrubbing floors all the day and cleaning out the latrine otherwise. That would not do, Randvér. She shall be a serving wench under the watchful eye of Frodides, my cook, and Kara, her apprentice. To those two she will be obedient, and to me, of course. What say you to that, Randvér?"

"I think, my friend, that you are a kindly lord, and I hope that you do not regret your lightness of hand, as I have too many times over the years."

"Father!" Ginna protested.

"Peace, Ginna!" Eodwine smiled. "I will be your lord and not your father, so I expect the obedience due a lord and head of the Hall, and not the submission due a father. Will you obey me, and Frodides and Kara?"

Ginna paused only briefly before giving her assent. Randvér shook his head that she had paused at all, but Eodwine smiled that she had indeed given thought, and assented so quickly.

"Good! Now let us three go in and break our fast!"